Compton Film Library was erected in 1957 and opened at 1624 Locust Street in 1958.
Besides serving as the location for SLPL’s film collection, space in the building was devoted to other collections and behind the scenes work such as a bindery, book repairs, and bookmobile services.
As it stands today. Compton Branch is more of a storage, internal working branch and research facility that houses SLPL’s extensive historical periodicals, journal collections, newspapers, folios, patents, trademarks, and local & federal government information. Materials stored at Compton are retrieved and brought to Central Library for patrons use upon request.